Thursday, August 11, 2011

Nectar at Wangz Hotel

This barrel-shaped hotel at Outram area is quite known for their roof-top Halo Lounge. My colleagues and me found out about the lesser known Nectar restaurant quite by chance. The 1-for-1 UOB sign attracted our attention during our walk back from one of our slightly longer lunch at the Kampong Chicken Rice nearby. HY was the one who noticed the sign and suggested we could do lunch there some time. It sounded like a good deal.

Fast forward a few weeks, and before we know it, it was HY's birthday. Though my attempt at scheduling a group lunch on the actual day backfired due to her absence, we managed to get the whole group (minus boss) together the following week. This arrangement had one additional plus point. We could now celebrate T's birthday together. The deal is 1-for-1 ala carte main courses, with a maximum of 8 pax per card. Since there were 14 of us, I checked whether splitting of bill is allowed during my call up for reservation. Thankfully it was. 

The manager was a chatty guy who made a good effort to explain the UOB deal, and made recommendations for our food selections. After our order, the food took forever to arrive. At least 30 minutes I think, though I forgot my watch that day and isn't sure. We were given bread and butter. The bread was toasted and warm, and oh-so-good! (Right, I love bread too on top of steak and potatoes...) The restaurant serves regular iced water, but they placed a bottle of Fiji water in a stand per table for decoration. After my attempt at an artsy shot of it, that chatty manager came up and started telling us all about how pure Fiji water is and how it's dubbed the "Hollywood water" because all the stars drink it. Hm... a little overdoing your job aren't you?

Most of us ordered pasta, and since all pastas look the same, I only took a representative shot of mine. Nothing fantastic about it, just the typical rich cream sauce pasta. Two colleagues who ordered the lobster squid ink pasta in cream sauce complained that their lobster wasn't too fresh. Although the manager went round the table asking all of us how our food was (pretty much before we even put them into our mouths), he missed the fact that one of them left her pasta almost completely untouched. I think J enjoyed his beef burger, and those who had the rainbow trout said it was nice, though not very filling. I do think the portion sizes were a little too small. Worked for my rich pasta since I was sick by the end of it - no fault to the chef, cream makes me feel like that even though I love it. But I think half of us were not fully satisfied.

Fiji water (background glass is regular water though)

Wagyu Beef burger

Mushroom tagliatelle

Herbed rainbow trout

Molten Lava cake with sorbet
We ordered Molten Lava Cakes for the birthday girls. This one was good! Rich, with a slightly melted centre. We all tried it of course, since the girls were so generous to share. D devoured one quarter of HY's in one mouth. Seems like the trout is not making his stomach so happy... lolz...

Nothing fantastic about this restaurant. If I ever return, it'll most likely be because the UOB deal is really quite a good deal. We ended up paying about $20 each after absorbing the costs of the cakes and the birthday girls' share. But probably only for lunch. I need good dinners. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment