Thursday, August 25, 2011

Bar Bar Black Sheep (Boat Quay)

It was V's bachelorette party and my colleagues and I were looking for a dinner place near Clarke Quay, where we had booked a hotel room to spend the night. Turns out Groupon had a deal for Bar Bar Black Sheep, and seeing that Boat Quay isn't so far from Clarke Quay, we bought 2 vouchers and tried out that place. Prior to going, however, another colleague mentioned that Bar Bar is like a 'high class kopitiam', not so much a restaurant. We were quite horrified actually, and did a quick google. Yup, saw the same description for the Robertson Quay branch on HungryGoWhere.com. Reviewers said that their style was ordering at the counter and food will be delivered later. I can handle that. I later found their facebook site and saw the photos, didn't look so bad lah!

There was an event at the indoor area the day we were going, so we had to reserve an outdoor table. To add to the already expected discomfort (Singapore is HOT!), it poured that afternoon. So it was a little wet, and very, very humid when we reached. I have over-active sweat and oil glands, so the dinner was not comfortable at all. But this is a food blog, so I'll talk about the food. Bar Bar serves up a fusion of Indian, Thai and Western cuisine. I think they are most renown for their Indian, but the Groupon specifically excludes Indian food. Since there was 11 of us, not a big issue cos we were sure to hit $40 worth of non-Indian food to utilize our vouchers.

We girls who reached first ordered their Tandoori Platter. Tandoori chicken, fish, prawn and choice of lamb or chicken kebab, and we chose lamb. I liked the fish - flaky and well-flavoured. The tandoori chicken was okay. Wasn't keen on the kebab. Did like the chutney that was served alongside, which complemented the dishes perfectly. We also ordered garlic and butter naans. I ate half a butter naan plain. Very aromatic even without gravy. By the time the rest arrived, we were semi full. So we carried on with ordering appetizers to share rather than to order main courses each, though the latecomers still went ahead with their mains.

The buffalo wings, though informed by the waitress that its one of their signature dishes, was very normal. It was gratifying to see that the calamari wasn't made from frozen supermarket varieties, although I think I've eaten better ones elsewhere. (Oops, I think its my mom's. She's spoiling the market.). We also ordered nacho chips with salsa, which my camera obviously missed. Crisp with gooey cheese and spicy salsa - I like. Fries, well, were fries. I was just telling Lynn the other day this, and suddenly we both remembered the remarkable fries at Les Bouchons. Lol...

I remembered clearly X ordering his steak medium. But he gave me a small piece to try, knowing that I love steak, and it's very very obviously well-done. But being Mr Nice Guy, he didn't complain and dutifully finished up the entire tough steak. It came smothered in mushroom sauce. Though the sauce was flavorful, it's there to cover the fact that the meat is less than high quality. Its quite lean too, and doesn't have the much-needed fats to give the meat more flavor. The phad thai was pretty good, though I only had a mouthful. The fish and chips was HUMONGOUS!! Even after distributing the fish to a good number of people, V and me were unable to finish the rest of it. Although it was one of the recommended dishes by reviewers on HungryGoWhere.com, I found it waaayyy too oily for my liking. Fish was a little bland too. Makes me miss those from Aussie... haha...

The other mains that my camera missed include Thai green curry, Butter Chicken, and Thai seafood fried rice. The feedbacks I got was that the green curry was good, but too spicy for V, but I guess it was great for J who love spicy and ordered that. The butter chicken smelled fantastic when it arrived, but it reached late because the kitchen missed that order. We were quite filled by then and couldn't finish it. I sampled a little of the gravy and found it it was rich, buttery, and would have been perfect with naan. Heard that the fried rice was good too.

Tandoori platter

Buffalo wings

Calamari

Steak

Beef phad thai

Fish and chips
Other than the discomfort, I quite enjoyed the food here. Although I will recommend to come here for the Indian and Thai food, and steer clear of the Western. Service was a little slow cos I think they were under-staffed for a Friday night. Curious though, you're in Boat Quay for goodness sake, you should know to increase staff numbers on a Friday night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment