Friday, August 26, 2011

Modesto's (VivoCity)

It's V's farewell, and boss wanted to treat all of us to a farewell lunch for her. As usual, he suggested the American club. We've been there twice, so we suggested a barrage of alternatives for him. Of the list of about 5 restaurants, he picked Modesto's.

I've been there quite regularly, because it's one of the few places in Vivo that serves vegetarian food (Yes, this beef lover's hubby is a vegetarian, the irony...). Their pastas and pizzas are quite pricey without any set deals. There were a good 15 of us, so there was a large variety of stuff ordered, and my camera couldn't get all of them. We were served herbed bread with balsamic vinegar and olive oil before our food arrive. Their bread are served warm and tasted so good with the vinegar and oil. The garlic bread that some of the others ordered smelled great, but I didn't try it. Modesto's is known for their woodfire pizzas, but I'm personally a more pasta person. As I looked through my photos, I have to sheepishly admit I did not get a single photo of any of the pizzas ordered!

I didn't order my favourite carbonara this time round, though I find Modesto's carbonara one of the nicest I've tried so far. Rich and creamy, yet not overly thick. It does get too cloying on the palate after some time so either you order to share with a friend, or you eat super fast before the too-rich feeling sets in. =) I shared the seafood pasta for two with YJ. When it arrived, the whole table wowed. It was a really huge serving! But don't be deceived by the sheer size, there wasn't actually a whole lot of linguini in that plate. The clams, mussels and whole crab are bulky extras that make the volume look big, but actually very empty inside. The clams' flesh were minute... smaller than my little pinkie's nail - made me thankful I didn't order a Vongole linguini. Mussels, prawns and squids were very fresh. The whole flower crab was a little intimidating. But turned out it was frozen crab, and the flesh wasn't even slightly sweet. I didn't try very hard to eat it. With some sharing to the rest, we did manage finish the entire plate.

Sampled a little of the spinach cannelloni. Nice~ But again, too much ricotta can be cloying, so V didn't manage to finish it despite sharing off several mouthfuls. XP didn't seem to enjoy his casoncelli. I sampled one, it was so-so. I didn't try the cod fish cos there wasn't a lot of it, and I didn't want HY to go hungry afterwards. It did look appealing though. Some of the others ordered pizzas, and I got back mixed reviews. ZM said it was really good, SK said she's not a big fan of thin-crusted pizza so she didn't care so much for it. Then D found a hair buried in the last slice of an anchovy pizza, and made a complain. The restaurant staff apologized, and offered us a whole 13" pizza of the same flavor to take away. Makes you feel appreciated as a customer! I did try a slice of this much later for tea break. Oh my, that was the saltiest pizza I've ever eaten!! The anchovies were out-of-this-world salty!! No way I'll ever order that again!

Cappuccino

Cod fish wrapped with bacon

Casoncelli alla Bergamaso - mince meats filled pasta

Spinach cannelloni

Linguini alla Modesto's - seafood pasta for two

Trying to show how huge the serving was...

Prettily served dessert for the set meal
The set lunch is at $18 nett for a drink, a pasta off a selected list, and ice cream for dessert. A good deal, considering a pastas costs at least $21 off the ala carte menu. I think the current set dinner is a choice of appetizer, two pastas off a selected list, and a choice of dessert for $52 nett. Without your boss around to pay the bill, set menu is the way to go. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment