Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Chop House

We love Wooloomooloo. So when we found out that the group was opening a new restaurant at Vivocity called The Chop House, we were thrilled. And when we saw it's menu, we were even happier. It's a more casual concept compared to Wooloomooloo, hence more affordable menu. We planned it on a day we went to RWS for the Sea Aquarium. The thing is, we did shabu shabu buffet for lunch, and munched on snacks in Sentosa, before heading here to dinner. So needless to say, we weren't very hungry, but everything still looked good.

In the end we settled for a soup, a mixed platter and a dessert. I wanted mussels, but we weren't sure we could finish. That's how we decided to settle for the mussels soup. It was creamy, with pieces of mussels and some fish. It wasn't wow, but still nice. Some of the mussels were a little overcooked and tough though.

Mussel soup

Then our mixed grill platter arrived. Beef tenderloin, lamb sausage, pork sausage and lamb cutlet. On the side we were given a little rack of three condiments, all homemade. Mustard, beetroot jam and caramelized onion. I don't care for beetroot to begin with but Lynn liked it. I went totally bonkers with the onions and mustard. These are perfect for all the red meat in the platter!! And the onions were very nicely done. Meat wise, the beef was tender and perfectly done medium. Look at the juicy pink interior. Sausages, well, who can do sausages badly? The lamb was also delicious. Marinated just enough to ensure the muttony taste doesn't overwhelm, but still enough for the lamb lovers. The portion was comfortable for the two of us after all our nonsense earlier in the day. For a hungry day, we'll probably need sides.

Condiments

Mix grill platter

Juicy pink meat
On a separate occasion, I went with XP to try their mix seafood grill. I found the salmon to be a little on the dry side, and the squid, although perfect texture, were a little bland. The shrimps were nicely done to bouncy perfection. Maybe because seafood tends to be milder flavored than meat to begin with, we needed the sauce it came it. Very oddly, we were given the same three condiments that seemed more apt for meat. Turns out the first blur waiter put it down for some unknown reason, and the other waiter didn't want to disappoint us by removing. So I just dug into the caramalized onions anyway, but ignored the mustard and the beetroot.

Mix seafood grill
For dessert on the first visit, Lynn and I decided to share a cheesecake. It was a nice cheesecake, although I found the sauce suspiciously tasting like coffeeshop sweet soya sauce. On a third visit, my dinner buddies insisted it was maple syrup and on sampling, I agreed it was. But I so distinctly remember both Lynn and I thought it tasted like coffeeshop sweet soya sauce. Was it me, or did they mix up their sauces on my first visit?

Baileys cheesecake
On separate occasions, I had tried their Mussels Mariniere. The mussels themselves were deliciously cooked. However, if you're a broth drinker like me, be warned. The mussels broth was incredibly salty. Saltier than any other mussels I have tried. And I've also tried the Sirloin steak, while a friend tried their Australian Lamb chop. I preferred the lamb to the beef. It's not that the beef wasn't good. It's just that the lamb was better. Or maybe I was simply in a lamb mood that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment