Monday, March 31, 2014

Annalakshmi

So we were wanting to do delivery for lunch cos we got bored of the food in our area. And then there's the vegetarian Indian food we attempted to go for once but failed because it moved away from Chinatown Point. Then I found out that they had relocated to Clark Quay area, and that their delivery service was still available. At $6 per pack, it sounded like a good deal. Minimum 5 packs to deliver, so we took orders around the lab. Their menu changes daily, with North and South Indian options each day. The website wasn't updated, so we didn't get what we were expecting. But since then, they have started sending me the weekly menu so now I'm always kept in the loop.

Heads up, the portions are HUGE. And it didn't help that I ended up with rice, and a potato side dish, and a rice yoghurt. That's on top of other side dishes and an Indian sweet. Too much carbos in a meal. I couldn't finish them. But it was a delicious meal, I really liked the spiced potatoes. There's also option for less rice and two chapatis, which some of us got. They even printed the best consumed by time. Which was unfortunately a little on the weird side for us. Because we are so near them, we were the first delivery location. I received my lunch at 10.30am. We ate at 12 noon. The consumed by time was 1.30pm or thereabouts.

Delivery - South Indian

Delivery - North Indian, with 2 Chapatis and less rice option

Then we had a farewell for an Indian exchange student who's vegan (for lack of a simpler definition. She's actually a Jain.) So we thought we could go to Annalakshmi itself for lunch. Their system is very unique. It's a non-profit organisation totally run by volunteers, and proceeds, if I'm not wrong, goes into the maintenance of the school of Indian arts known as the Temple of Fine Arts next door. So you pay however much you want, for a vegetarian buffet lunch! The art pieces on walls, we were told by an Indian colleague, were also all available for sale, and the proceeds goes to the same cause. Good food (for us) for a good cause (for them), isn't that a fantastic combination?

Because there's so many of us, we needed a reservation. With a big group, they requested a minimum payment of $12 each. That's still a very good deal for a buffet! The principle behind Annalakshmi is food cooked and served with love. The volunteers prep the food the way they would at home for their loved ones, no short cut. And because the volunteers rotate, that's the reason why their menu changes. The food on the buffet menu is pretty much the same as the delivery menu. Both the North and South Indian options are there for the taking. On top of that, we are entitled to drinks and chapattis and puri. Oh my, those piping hot and crispy puri are to die for. Deep fried doughs of happiness. I only allowed myself half... As much as I wanted more, I really needed to watch my fat intake. The lassi were great too. I had a mango lassi which I thoroughly enjoyed. The was also vadai at the buffet, which were puffy little fried doughs. With the variety of dips and curries available, you will find no lack of accompaniment for them. And I happily found the same spiced potato that I had (potato masala) previously during the delivery. Yes it's a lot of carbo, but I was going back so many rounds of this.


Lassi, vadai, rice, veggies and curries

Overall I loved the spirit behind this place, and the food too. True, the word 'vegetarian' turns a lot of the carnivorous colleagues off. One of them even claimed that too much veggies gave him indigestion for that day, not bothering to note the fact that probably his 3 puri and mountain of vadai was more likely the cause of the said indigestion -_-|||. Some of us thought we will return, but somehow never got around to it. Maybe we should really go back one of these days. 


#01-04, Central Square
20, Havelock Road
Singapore 059765
Nearest MRT station: Clarke Quay (Exit B) or Chinatown (Exit E)
Tel : 6339 9993
For delivery: 8181 3407
For catering: 97813593

No comments:

Post a Comment