Thursday, March 20, 2014

Tamoya (Chinatown Point)

It was one of those nights I had no dinner plans. So I asked XP if he's having dinner before going home. He said yes, and we're both done with our work, so we packed our bags and decided to go elsewhere for dinner. We are really bored of food near our workplace. Then I suggested Tamoya, because I've seen their posters a few times in Chinatown Point. I love udon but Lynn dislikes it - she's more of a soba girl, so she doesn't want to entertain me. So XP agreed to go with me.

Tamoya turns out to be an Ikea-type udon restaurant. In the sense that you place your order for udon, pick up a selection of sides if you wish, collect your food, make payment for your food and help yourself to the condiments and plain water. All self-serviced. The condiments available were the standard wakame, grated radish, green onions, fried garlic, tempura crumbs etc. All very Japanese. Then, in the midst of all these Japanese condiments, you see sliced chilli padi. I was super cracked up. Kept laughing. That's SO Singaporean and NOT Japanese at all!

We discovered the noodle portion for 'small' is really quite small, so for average to big eaters, you may consider the 'large' portion. I enjoyed my beef udon - tender beef, chewy udon in the flavorful broth. The broth is refillable if you find your noodles soaking up the liquid too fast.

Beef Udon
I found the tempura a little on the the greasy side, but still ok. Again the dipping sauce is refillable, but not like I'm going to drink dipping sauces so that wasn't an important point.

Mixed vegetable tempura (foreground), grilled asparagus (background)
I forgot to take photo of XP's curry udon until he had already mixed it, so pardon me for the messy photo. He liked it as well, but it look a tad dry to me.

Curry Udon
After eating, you then help clear the tables and put the trays at the tray return point. All very self-serviced. I actually quite liked it, only found the portion too small. Next time I may order the large noodle and pick a few more sides.


133 New bridge road
Chinatown point SC
B1#48-49

No comments:

Post a Comment