Friday, March 14, 2014

Beaulieu House

It was our ROM anniversary, so hubby and I arranged for dinner. It was a pretty last minute decision to do dinner, since he was initially supposed to be out of town. So although I had initially suggested trying out Ocean's restaurant in RWS long long ago, it was too last minute to make a reservation there with one day notice. Most likely we would have ended up with the non-window seating defeats the purpose. So I hunted for a quiet, fuss-free place, preferably near home. And turned up with nothing.

So I asked Lynn for ideas, and somehow she managed to google this place. Beaulieu House, at the end of nowhere at Sembawang park. Their online menu revealed that there were vegetarian options. And really, the photos looked nice. And it's right beside the beach. Sounded like we could have a nice walk after dinner.

The place in actual looks...... not as glamorous as the photos. Still, it had a very rustic charm to it. Very laid back. Hubby said he felt that we were on vacation in some Indonesian islands or something. The servers were friendly, and the ambience relaxed. Which hubby likes, since he's not really into fancy eating places. It's also not too crowded, so we weren't surrounded left and right by people and we didn't have to feel the need to whisper.

They have a good selection of grilled stuff. It was going at 3 types for a cheaper price, so I wanted tender beef kebabs, and chose mushrooms and tomato with cheese for both of us. The beef kebab was yum. Tender as expected, and juicy, and had a nice charred flavor. I liked it very much. The mushrooms were a little plain, no sauce or anything. So we asked for some salt to eat it with. The salt took awhile to arrive, as the first waiter didn't seem to really understand what I was asking for. But with the salt, the mushrooms were much better.

Grilled Shiitake mushrooms and tender beef kebabs
The tomato with cheese, well, when I read it and ordered it, I was expecting grilled tomato quarters smothered in melted cheese. It turned out to be a grilled whole tomato with a small square of cheese on top. The tomato wasn't grilled quite enough to release its sweetness, so it's pretty much eating a semi-raw tomato with that teeny bit of cheese. Hubby dislikes raw tomatoes whole. He only eat them in slices. Then when its in between raw and cooked like that, he absolute hated it. And refused to eat more than 2 mouths. So I had to finish both tomatoes.


Grilled tomato with cheese
For mains I had the grilled chicken with garlic and lemon sauce. The sauce tasted more like the typical brown gravy. Not a whole lot of garlic or lemon flavor. Still, the chicken was tender, and the sauce goes ok with it. What I thought to be a hill of mashed potatoes (which I intentionally saved for the last) turned out to be a few slabs of baked pasta of some sort. Nice surprise, but I really wanted to finish with mashed potatoes, so was a little disappointed my last bite wasn't mashed potatoes.

Grill Boneless Chicken with garlic and lemon sauce
Hubby had the Spaghetti Al Fungi. As usual for him and cream sauce pastas, he started off ok, saying it's nice. Then get sick somewhere along 1/3 of the plate, and get even more sick of it at 2/3 and really struggled through the final 1/3. He was so gelat by it that he said no to my dessert suggestion.

Spaghetti Al Fungi
On top of the western and grill menu, they have a full Chinese food menu. Talk about Jack of all trades. We didn't try the Chinese food so I can't comment. But I do like this place for its fuss-freeness. And the lack of crowd, most likely due to the inaccessibility - it isn't easy to get here by public transport. And parking wasn't too impossible to find. And we really had a nice little walk people watching along the very small beach. I think I may come back here, when I want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It's only 15 minutes from home.


117 Beaulieu Road
Singapore 759837
(Sembawang Park)
Tel: +65 62579234
Fax: +65 68537638
Email: enquiries@beaulieuhouse.com.sg

No comments:

Post a Comment