Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Cafe 2000 Seafood and Barbecue Buffet

I love barbecues. Like really really love barbecues. As a teen I was always trying to connive my friends to go chalets because I want to eat barbecues. Or drag them to the now-defunk Marina Bay steamboat barbecues for my birthday dinners. Now, I resort to Korean and Japanese table barbecue restaurants. So when I walked pass this place and smelled the grilling meats, I was besotted. I had to go there. What's nicer than barbecuing your own food? Having others grill it for you and delivered to your table! In unlimited quantities!

So Lynn, her mom and I went for our little tai tai dinner one Friday night. The BBQ buffet is only available on Friday and Saturdays. I made reservation and hung up, didn't even remember to ask about the pricing. Thank goodness it wasn't too unaffordable. The spread was decent. Not a huge variety, but decent. We didn't like the server though. A very snobby guy, who gave us instructions in a very talk-down manner, as if we are stupid. All because Lynn innocently asked if the food outside is the same. We really thought that the BBQ happens outside the restaurant.

So let me try to go through in a more course-sequence correct manner (we took our food in a haphazard sequence actually). Cold dishes first. The cold food section was fresh, served on beds of ice. Prawns, mussels, oysters, Hokkaido crab claws, scallops and crab halves. The prawns were fresh and sweet. I usually dislike oysters that are too fishy, but theirs was fine. The Hokkaido crab claws were sweet, but too troublesome so we didn't go for seconds.

Cold food section
Now the BBQ section. Their system is pretty cute. We were given clips with our table number. So we basically go to the raw food section, take whatever we want, clip the number to the plate, and pass it to the grill staff. They will grill our food, and deliver it to our table. The BBQ food variety was pretty good. Crayfish, prawn, salmon, otah, squid, lamb, beef, chicken, pork etc. It was only during our second round that I notice that what we initially took to be 'decorations' on the ice around the bowls of raw food, were actually real corn and gong gong. So I started picking the 'decorations' to be grilled. And true enough, they were cooked and delivered to us. Gong gong are not often seen, so I was going crazy with picking the decorations. Haaaa. Sorry they aren't very apparent in the photos. I took this photos after a few rounds of picking. =D


Raw seafood to be grilled

Squid and otah (spot the gong gong)

Poultry (spot the gong gong)

The clips with our table number
And tadaa.... our cooked food. I stole the sticks from the chocolate fountain to use to dig my gong gong flesh out. Haaa

Grilled lamb, gong gong and scallops
Now the cooked food. They have a decent spread, and seems to be having some crayfish special. There's crayfish in the cold food, in the BBQ, in the cooked food, and in the yong tau foo section. We found the roast section one of our favorite. We spammed the sausages quite a few times, as well as the ribeye. The guy at the roast section isn't very generous, and only gave us one sausage at the time. So we had to go back a few times.

The other cooked food was quite passable. Lynn's mom love crayfish, so we hung around the crayfish tray until the salted egg crayfish appeared.

Ribeye

Ribs and sausages

Fried fish in sweet and spicy sauce

Pizza and satays

Cereal prawn and roast pork

Salted egg cray fish and crackers
Their noodle section is seafood yong tau foo. You choose your own ingredients, and the type of noodles, and the type of soup. The chef then prepares it your way. I opted for Laksa gravy. Skipped the crayfish though, because I think I had a crayfish overdose.

Seafood yong tau foo

Laksa yong tau foo
Their array of desserts was pretty impressive. But I was too full to explore too much of it. Lynn's mom loved the durian mousse. We tried some of the chocolate fountain. It's... chocolate fountain lor.

Durian mousse
Overall it was a very good meal. We ate til we were stuffed. Lynn feels that she would never be back. It didn't impress her so much that she would want to return. I felt it was ok, and may consider bringing my family back just to try. And for the gong gong. Lol...

Cafe 2000
81 Anson RoadSingapore, 079908+65 6500 6112

No comments:

Post a Comment