Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Tastings Room

Finally got around to posting this entry. Despite being dated a while back, the opinions are still clearly imprinted in my mind. Here's why...

This restaurant was highlighted to us through a Groupon. Seeing the description sounded like a French fine dining restaurant, and the deal was going at $36 for a 4 course meal, we thought, why not? So we got two vouchers, and Lynn and me decided to try it out. We made reservation for the Friday before CNY, thinking it could be our own little reunion dinner. The reservation was made one week in advance, because I was worried that many who bought the Groupon might have the same idea.

Nevermind that the restaurant didn't call me to remind me. Not all restaurants do that so it didn't bother me at all. What bothered me, ALOT, was when we reached there. My name was no where on the small piece of paper carrying the names of the reservations. It didn't help that the pokerface waitress had a similar poker attitude. She went through the list several times, asking me for my name several times as well. Despite my 5th repetition of 'My name is Gracie', she kept asking me "Is it Nancy? Is it xxx? Is it yyy?" etc. It was beginning to become difficult to hold my annoyance. She finally went to a big notebook beside the phone, and finally found my name and contact number on that book. Apparently the name never got transferred to the 'reservation of the day' slip of paper. After consulting her manager, she came back, still pokerfaced, saying that the only available seats are outdoor. I got mad, and rejected the outdoor seat. We ended up at Hippopotamus for a much happier dinner instead.

However, since I've already paid for the Groupon, we have to return for our meal eventually. So a few days later, I called up, made a feeble complain (chicken-hearted me was afraid that if I kick up too big a fuss, I may end up never getting a reservation and let my voucher go wasted) and remade a reservation for a week later. Turned out Lynn had to go to Malaysia to visit her sick grandma. So I called up and postponed the reservation by another week.

On the day itself, Lynn reached 3 minutes before I did. As I was walking over, I called her and found that my name isn't on the stupid list again. I reached there in a fuming mood, and didn't hide my irritation from the waitress. But this time it's a nice lady, no longer Miss Pokerface. She was more helpful, found my name in the book again, and was able to get us an indoor seat. But it didn't quench my irritation at the management. Come on, what are the odds of losing my name TWICE!!!

The Groupon deal had 2 options per course. Since there were two of us, we told them we want one each of everthing. After flipping through the menu, we also excitedly ordered an additional House Fries, which was described as 'truffle fries served with truffle mayonnaise'.

The appetizers were Tomato Bruschetta with Mozzarella Gratin, and Pan Seared Scallop with Salmon Roe. The scallop paled in comparison to Ember's, but it was still nice. We couldn't figure out what the sauce actually is. The salmon roe was a little on the salty side. The bruschetta had slipped my memory already so I guess nothing to rave about. We did enjoy the wild rocket leaves and balsaemic dressing. The soups were Seafood Smoked Vine Tomato soup, and truffle mushroom puree soup. We preferred the mushroom soup, but I really don't remember any truffle taste or aroma in it. The tomato soup was more like a puree - I felt that it would have made a good pasta sauce. It was nonetheless better than the burnt tomato paste we had in Bedrock's (I'm sorry, I know it was a signature dish, but it really turned both of us off tomato soup for a very long time...). There was a few small pieces of prawn, squid and fish. Thankfully no crabstick that many places like to classify as 'seafood'.

Pan-seared scallop with Salmon Roe

Tomato bruschetta with mozzarella gratin

Truffle mushroom puree soup

Seafood smoked vine tomato soup


Our fries was another joke. A waiter came with a sauce, and told us it was the dip for the house fries. I looked at it, and felt that it looked like Tartar sauce. I tasted it, and told Lynn it tasted like McDonald's tartar sauce. She tried it and agreed. So we flagged down a passing waitress, and asked her if that was supposed to be the 'truffle mayonnaise', cause it really look and taste like a tartar sauce. She said she think her colleague made a mistake, apologized, and took the sauce away. The first waiter then came back with our fries. When we pointed out that our 'truffle mayonnaise' haven't been brought, he looked surprised, and asked us where was the sauce he brought us. I told him that was tartar sauce, and his colleague had brought it back to change. He subsequently returned with a dish of mayonnaise, said that what he brought me earlier was the correct dip, but since we didn't like it (I never said that I didn't like anything), he brought us regular mayonnaise instead. Lynn sarcastically told me she didn't know truffle mayonnaise comes from Mcdonald's, and I even more sarcastically added "的 filet o' fish". The fries are actually pretty decent thick cut fries. If they had called it 'US fries' or something, it will fit the description nicely. However, we could only taste faint wisp of truffle every 5 fries or something. And to have that with tartar sauce, well....... It really doesn't live up to the 'Truffle fries' name.

Truffle fries

The mains are the biggest disappointments. Pesto Cream Fettucine with 'Sous Vide' Chicken Breast, and Squid Ink Linguine with Fresh Calamari. The pesto cream was actually quite nice, and we did finish up the fettucine. I just googled and found that 'Sous Vide' is a method of cooking food sealed in a water-tight plastic bag dunked in less than usual cooking temperature (typically about 60 degrees celsius) for extended period of time. It's supposed to give more evenly cooked food with correct doneness throughout. But I thought the chicken slices tasted medium well or something. It was still a little pink. Not being comfortable with eating uncooked chicken, we left those aside. The squid ink pasta was the worst of all the dishes. I have no problem with squid ink. I grew up eating my mom's recipe of squid cooked in its own ink, and I love it. But this squid ink pasta tasted like plastic. I gave up after 1 mouth. Lynn actually managed a few more mouths before she too gave up. The calamari were quite tasteless. First time in a very long time that I returned an almost full plate of food. The waitress either didn't notice, or didn't care to ask why. That had to be the worst pasta I've ever eaten in my entire life.

Squid ink linguine with fresh calamari

Pesto cream fettucine with sous vide chicken breast

The desserts were Earl Grey Creme Brulee, and Warm Banana Cake with Ice Cream. This was the only part that made an impression. The earl grey creme brulee was very nice. Creamy creme brulee with a good, strong, but not overpowering flavor of earl grey tea. We liked it. The banana cake must have been passable because I don't have any recollection of it at all. Oh, I vaguely remember something about it being too sweet.

Earl grey creme brulee

Warm banana cake with ice cream

Given the bad service I received even before I dined there, I already knew that the food have to be super fantastic in order to convince me to return. Of course, the food failed. The only thing we found that could differentiate it from other restaurants was the earl grey creme brulee. Not likely we'll return just for desserts. Even at $36, I didn't think it was worth the money. I definitely will not pay the original $72 for that quality of food. I noticed that they have put up a Groupon again. Warning to those interested - do not take it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment