Friday, April 5, 2013

Herbivore

This is one restaurant actually not found by me. Hubby saw it occasionally when we drove pass Fortune Centre. So when I suggested Bugis area for walk walk and makan for Valentine's day, he brought me there. It serves vegetarian Japanese and Western food.



We didn't have a reservation, so the only available seats were the outdoor seats, or we would have to wait. It was just after a rain, and nice and somewhat cool, so I accepted the outdoor table. After browsing through the menu, I was actually tempted by quite a number of interesting options. So we ended ordering quite a fair bit. An Unagi don set for him and a tempura soba for me. And to share we had Salmon Sashimi (??), Shitake mushroom with cheese, grilled asparagus and avocado maki.

The unagi don set looks like a regular Japanese set. Only it comes with mock unagi. I'm not a fan of mock meats, but I did sample a little of his 'unagi'. Seeing that I personally don't like real unagi, I'd say I actually prefer this version. And because I seldom eat unagi, I can't quite comment on this dish. He finished all of it anyway, so I guess it's yummy in its own way.

Unagi don set

I ordered my tempura soba for the simple reason of a hot soup on a rainy day, and no mock meat. Tempura eggplant, pumpkin, capsicum and mushrooms accompanying a hot bowl of soba. There really isn't much to complain about. The broth was decent, and I enjoyed my dinner.

Tempura soba
Next is the cutest dish of all. Vegetarian salmon sashimi. Looks every bit like real salmon sashimi. I texted this to almost everyone on my chatlists because I found it so amusing. Probably made of Konjac jelly, it was a little springy, a little juicy and overall actually not bad. Of course not as good as real sashimi, but it's as close as it gets.

Vegetarian salmon sashimi

Our next side dish was a no brainer for yumminess. Deep-fried battered cheese-topped shitake mushroom generously doused with teriyaki sauce. What can possibly go wrong? Crispy on the outside, very hot and juicy on the inside. The type of cheese they used tasted very much like McDonald's cheeseburger's, so I kept having this fast food sensation as I ate this.

Shitake mushroom with cheese

For obvious reasons, there's no pork bacon wrapped around these grilled asparagus. But I wanted some greens. These were quite well executed for a simple dish. The asparagus were cooked to perfection. None of the raw taste, but retained a perfect crisp. And not tough at all. Hubby is not even an asparagus lover but he liked this.

Grilled asparagus

The last side dish was a surprise. Hubby wanted sushi. I wanted no mock meat. So the only one that fitted our wants was the avocado maki. It did come with the tiniest bit of 'salmon' inside, but that's Konjac and I don't mind it as much as gluten. They came served prettily on a long dish, topped with a dollop of mayo, and drizzled with *surprise~* strawberry sauce! The combination sounds weird, I know, but it was yummy! The flavors all complemented each other, and their sushi rice is actually quite delicious. Much better than some of the regular sushi chains even!

Avocado maki

We enjoyed our dinner thoroughly, but it was pretty pricy. Since it was within CNY period, there was an additional $2 surcharge on every dish. Gasp!! But since vegetarian Japanese food is pretty hard to find, I guess they have the right to charge a little more. We probably may come back on special occasions.


Herbivore
190 Middle Rd
Fortune Centre
#01-13/14
Tel no: 63331612

No comments:

Post a Comment