Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Gui Lin Bee Hoon Mee & Nasi Lemak

I have a disclaimer to make. This post is in every sense an advertisement. But I just cannot, in the name of family ties, not post this. Moreover, I share because I honestly feel that our food is yummy. I'm sure those who spend their morning or weekends in the long queue for our food can vouch for this. This is actually my family business, food I grew up eating, as well as helped in selling. Food that makes me the foodie I am today. So for all the high end restaurants I visit, I'm still a hawker girl through and through.


I apologize for the faded signboard, but it goes to show how long we've been in business. My parents had been hawkers since before I was born. They only took up this location around 1989. This signboard is actually a new one after a coffeeshop refurbishment in between, but yeah, we're sort of iconic in the area.

Econimical bee hoon and other noodles types is always a popular option in all coffeeshops because of its affordability. But to make patrons return again and again to wait in the queue, I guess that says something about our food. Our fried bee hoon is fried just right, not mushy, and stringy enough without being chokingly tough. On top of this, we have fried yellow mee and fried thin kuay tiao. And another signature main is our dry fried mee siam. All the flavors of mee siam fried dry-styled into bee hoon. It's in an appetizingly orange color, topped with chopped chives, fried scrambled egg and tofu bits. A squeeze of lime makes it a plate of calories worth diving into.

Fried Bee Hoon
Fried Mee Siam
We are known for our nasi lemak too. My colleagues can vouch for this. They're always happy whenever I pack this for them for lunch. Fragrant coconut rice,, we don't make it green not because we skim the pandan leaves, but because we don't bother with food colorings. Don't be taken in by green rice you see outside sometimes. Putting pandan leaves in DO NOT make the rice green. And our homemade ikan bilis chilli goes perfectly well with the rice. It comes with a small additional cost but it's totally worth it, I promise.

Nasi Lemak with luncheon meat, otah, chicken wing (covered) and ikan bilis chilli
We have a huge selection of sides to choose to go with your mains, priced accordingly. There's something for everyone, and the huge favorite is our fried chicken wings. With our secret recipe marinate (wink), our wings are fried to a beautiful yellow color instead of the usual dull brown. Crispy on the outside, tender and flavorful on the inside. I'm telling you I really miss these wings after I moved out.
Signature fried chicken wings

Some of the options we have
Depending on the sides you choose (or no sides at all for the noodles), the prices start as low as $1. We operate as early as 5.30am and close shop at roughly 11.30am, while stocks last. And my parents are human too and need to rest, so we're off every Monday.

P.s. My uncle and aunt are operating a branch at Bukit Batok too! ;)


Gui Lin Bee Hoon Mee & Nasi Lemak
NTI Foodcourt
Blk 964 Jurong West St 91
5.30am to 11.30am
Closed every Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment