Thursday, February 14, 2013

Caffe Pralet

We chanced upon his little cafe near our workplace a few years ago as a plausible place for a farewell lunch with an ex-colleague. Had been there several times since, for birthday meals, occasional treats or farewell for more colleagues. They serves up decent set lunches that includes a coffee/tea and a cake of your choice. Since they are actually the shop front for the culinary school next door, I daresay their confections are the product of the classes. But fear not. These cakes are up to standard for sure.

This post is summarizing two visits in one. One for FQ's farewell as a FYP student (he had since then returned to join us as a staff), one for a random decision to treat ourselves a good lunch. These photos were tucked away in my phone so long that I almost forgot about them, until I was backing up and categorizing my phone photos not too long ago.

The Ayam Tempra is a Nonya chicken stew served with rice. I only tried a spoon of it, and my recollection is a warm and soya sauce based stew. The seafood baked rice arrived hot, as expected for a baked rice. When YJ dug into it, I caught a whiff of cheesy, creamy richness. She had trouble finishing it, however, because she's not used to cream based dishes and found it too rich.

Ayam Tempra
Seafood baked rice
I had the usual fish n chips. Ginormous serving of fish with fries at the side. But on this occasion, the fish disappointed. Large portion it still was, but the fish was bland. I really needed the tartare sauce to finish it. Because of its size, it's a dish that you sort of will regret not ordering when you see others have it. But after this time round, I doubt I'll order it again.

HUGE fish and chips
Their beef burger is J's favorite. Juicy beef patty in a bun with all those fresh veggies, what's there to not love? You can see how juicy it is after he had his first few bites. FQ loves his breakfast, so he opted for the all day American Breakfast. I vaguely remember him topping up say, $2, for his eggs to be scrambled instead of sunny side up. I didn't try it, and he didn't complain, so I guess it's pretty ok.

Beef burger
Juices from the burger
American Breakfast
I was stuck in a dilemma between a Crispy Grilled Fish with Pasta, and a Herbed Grilled Pork Chop with Black Pepper sauce. In the end I chose the fish in favor of my waistline (what a joke right?), while XP ordered the pork chop. My fish was cooked just right actually, and I liked the grilled asparagus served alongside. However, the pasta, served tossed in olive oil (I supposed), was dry and bland. 2nd bland food in 2 visits! I have a knack for choosing the wrong things. XP's pork chop arrived subsequently and I so regretted my decision. It looked, and tasted, yummy. Although I had to wonder how in the world it managed to get a 'healthier choice' sign next to it on the menu. Ha! XP say because it makes the stomach happy so it's emotionally healthy. Lol!

Crispy Grilled Fish with Pasta

Grilled pork chop 
Cafe Pralet's cakes usually do not disappoint. Of the many cakes we ordered over the two occasions, apparently I only took photos of three. Tiramisu, Cheesecake (can't remember if it's mango or orange flavored) and Red Velvet. Their red velvet is FQ's fave. Moist, sweet and rich, it's by far one of the best red velvety I've had. J really like their cheesecake. Tangy and rich, a nice balance to the sweet red velvet. We also had a mango cake of some kind. I remember it being quite sour and refreshing. I suspect it is the Passionfruit Mango Cheesecake. We had have on several occasions bought their signature chocolate cakes for birthday celebrations. Very rich chocolate mousse-type cake with a crunchy praline layer within, surrounded by a gate of chocolate pieces, topped with a good selection of fruits. Good stuff. But can't have too much of it too often.

Red velvet
Cheesecake
Mango Something
I do like this little cafe for their desserts, and a few of their mains. I've heard it's a nice place to chill for an afternoon tea too. They also have vegetarian options such as tofu burgers on their menu.


Caffe Pralet
Address: 17 Eng Hoon Street, 
#01-04 Eng Hoon Mansions, 
Singapore 169767 
Tel: 6223 5595
Website: http://www.caffepralet.com/
Menu at http://www.creativeculinaire.com/CafeMenu.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment