Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Uncle Sam's Claypot

I happened to be alone in City Square mall looking for dinner, and this restaurant crossed my mind. I had passed by a few months ago when I went there with hubby, and thought it looked promising.

This time round it's no different. I walked up to the entrance and my nose caught a whiff of a burnt smell, suggesting that the rice were authentically cooked in the claypot (as opposed to heaping cooked rice into the heated claypot). There was a set meal promotion too - choice of a claypot rice/noodle, a soup and a drink at $10.80++. Sounded ok, so in I went.

I chose chicken claypot rice, watercress pork rib soup and soy bean milk. The soy bean milk disappointed me with it's packet drink flavor. Belacan chilli was brought up to me while I waited for my food, and it smelled pretty good.

My food arrived after a good 15 minutes wait. Look at the photo and you will notice something is wrong. The chicken and other stuff are piled ON the rice. This means that they weren't cooked together with the rice. As a result, the rice was completely bland. And I was halfway through the bowl before I had a bite of salted fish - it turned out to be the only bite. When I reached the end, I did see enough charred rice at the bottom to make me believe the rice were indeed cooked in the claypot. Pity the sauce and chicken just wasn't flavorful enough. The chilli turned out to be pretty average too. The soup was ok, in a very normal way. Think the soup you get from a coffeeshop chicken rice stall.


Verdict: not worth the time, money, and stomach space. The claypot rice at Ang Mo Kio is much better, and cheaper too. I asked for it didn't I? Going to a fancy place for a coffeeshop food.

No comments:

Post a Comment