Friday, November 18, 2011

Togi Korean Restaurant

I was introduced to this restaurant at Mosque St by HY when us colleagues were looking for a place to go for a lab dinner. Liked it enough to bring Lynn back, but that was before we started blogging and no pictures were taken. Recently met up some old friends for dinner, and they chose that restaurant without my input. I guess good food speaks for itself.

From what I gathered through A, Togi is opened by a Korean lady boss who married an African-American who speaks fluent Korean. Not that I'll ever find out if its true, I was surprise he even knew this fact. I never dig around information about who open the places I dine at. The other Korean guy who help in running the place is the lady boss's brother.

Togi serves up pretty good Korean food. I love their bibimbap, ginseng chicken soup, fried rice cake, kimchi pancake, kimchi soup etc... The six side dishes are free flow - kimchi, braised potato, fried ikan bilis, some cold noodle thingy, cucumber salad and sauteed chives (I think). All are pretty good. I especially love the kimchi and the potato. This time round we ordered quite a few of my favorites: Chicken bibimbap, ginseng chicken soup and fried rice cake. Additionally we ordered fried dumplings and BBQ pork, which I have yet to try. I also ordered their citron hot tea, which is very similar to the Japanese Yuzu tea. It contains pomelo pieces I think. Very refreshing. I like. Next time I'll go for the cold one though.

The soup is full flavored with ginseng goodness, and a very good portion of chicken. It took a few bowls each for the 4 of us to finish the chicken. Nice thing about Togi is chicken soup top up is free. Of course we went for the top up! Their fried rice cake is pretty spicy, and I really liked the chewy rice cakes. It comes fried with a variety of vegetables, some dumplings, some other chewy thing I can't place, and half a hard boiled egg. The dumplings were normal, and pity the Koreans don't do vinegar with their dumplings the way us Chinese do. The bibimbap is a little different from the usual one where you have to pour some sauce over before you mix. Theirs comes with the sauce already in it, so you just have to mix. I like the flavor of their sauce, and the vegetables variety is pretty good. The BBQ pork is served with lettuce. So you pack the pork in a leaf of lettuce, add whatever you want (such as garlic, miso chilli sauce etc), and eat it 'popiah' style.

The six free flow side dishes

Fried rice cakes

Dumplings

Bibimbap. I forgot to take a photo before mixing.

Ginseng chicken soup
I can't comment on the authenticity of the food here, since my experience with real Korean food revolves around the whole week of BBQ food I had when I was there. If kimchi is any indication, I'll say their food is pretty authentic. Do see a fair number of Koreans here, so it's good enough. I'm missing the bibimbap as we speak... Lynn and others, however, had commented that there's another Korean place at West Coast area that's better. But location-wise, Togi gets the hands up from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment