Monday, September 12, 2011

Soup Restaurant (Jurong Point)

Many would have at least seen, if not tried, this chain restaurant in several malls around the island. I'll be first to admit that my failed Mandarin had somehow managed to allow me to read its name the first time as 三长两短 (well, you know what they say about filling in the blanks when you can't read it...). This restaurant is known for its herbal soups, as well as its Samsui Ginger Chicken.

Mom suggested here for my birthday dinner since its near home, and my brother will have an easier time bringing his 1 month old along. We ordered a set for 5, as well as additional vegetarian stuff for my hubby. The soup was chicken herbal soup. The broth was thickly flavored with ginseng roots and other chinese herbs, but was a little to the sweet side - and my brother hates sweet soups. The chicken pieces in the soup was overboiled and were tough and dry, so I didn't bother too much with them. The Samsui Ginger Chicken was satisfying as usual - tender steamed chicken served with ginger in sesame oil, crisp lettuce and cucumber. The rest of the food were forgotten by my camera. The Uncle Lapan fish is quite unique, you don't find this fish in too many places. Its a fatty fish that is so tender and melts in your mouth. Beware to non freshwater fish lovers, the 'muddy' taste may be a little too much for you. The stir fried vegetables are quite average I guess, and the ginger onion venison was way too salty.

The vegetarian options here are quite limited, and my poor hubby was stuck with a braised tofu dish and plain stir-fried kang kong. I don't think he enjoyed himself very much.




They have much fancier (and herbier) soups in their ala carte menu, which I remember from previous visits to be good, strong soups. For the non-herb lovers, their soup-of-the-day are usually pork rib with some vegetables such as winter melon or old cucumber, so should be mild enough on your palate. The Samsui Chicken is a must try.

1 comment:

  1. Samsui Chicken!!!~~~~My fave!!!!!!

    ~~~sze~~~

    ReplyDelete