Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Billy Bombers (Bugis)

I was pottering around Bugis Junction after my appointment with my hairstylist, looking for a place to have my dinner before my ride arrives. Seemed like a bad plan on a Friday night - all the eateries are full! This extends even to those small counter-type places with small seating capacity at the basement of the shopping mall. So despite my immense craving for noodle soup, I ended up at Billy Bombers. Quite a sad place actually, considering that there were plenty of seats even though all other restaurants around it were filled and had long lines in front of them.

After pondering for a long time over the menu, I settled for all my 4 weakness at the same time. Beef stew served with bread, and chunky fries with melted cheese. Plus a lemonade float. On first look the bread was boring. Plain hot dog bun, not even buttered. Further exploration revealed it was lightly toasted that brought out the flavor of the sesame seeds. But still not earth-shattering and I didn't finish it. The stew was richly flavored, but some of the beef pieces were tough, even though the carrots were very tender. Must be poor parts of the cow. The fries were cheesy enough, but wasn't the crispy type I was wishing for. Very thick-cut and fluffy in the centre. Still nice, but I was just hankering for crispy fries so these didn't hit the spot. Obviously these orders were way too much for a single person dinner, so I managed to struggle through the stew, gave up on the bread, and asked to take away half the fries for my hubby.

Grandma Mae's beef stew

Bread for the stew

Cheese fries
I must say the fries are visually attractive. I feel like eating them now just looking at the photo. Can sort of understand why the restaurant was empty compared to the rest. The food just wasn't appealing enough. If I ever come back, it's because I'm stuck in the same scenario of being too crowded everywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment