Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Savor Rye La Mian Xiao Long Bao Restaurant

This is my very often dinner solution when dinner is on my own. Situated along Kampong Bahru road just a stone throw away from the Outram NEL station, this restaurant serves up dim sum and noodle dishes, as well as a whole lot of other ala carte dishes I have yet to try. Been here several times, and I love it simply because its not crowded. I have tried their sour and spicy noodles, cold sesame noodles, Szechuan "dan dan" noodles, black pepper beef noodles and wanton noodle soup. Dim sum I have tried include their xiao long bao, carrot cake, 水交 and sweet potato dumplings.

The four pictures below are my favorites here. Although I admit their xiao long bao is not as good as those in Din Tai Fung or Crystal Jade, the fact that I get my cravings settled for half the cost and no queue makes it a winner. Meaty and juicy (or should I say soupy?), it does satisfy those xiao long bao cravings quite nicely. Their panfried carrot cake are soft, with generous amounts of shredded radish you can see. The sour and spicy noodle is more sour than spicy, and is really appetizing. The black pepper beef noodle is VERY peppery. I loved the peppery kick. the cold sesame noodles was a little weird to me - think cold noodles and vegetables drenched in cold sesame paste. I very much prefer my sesame paste sweet and on my toast. The dan dan noodles was non-authentic, according to a Szechuan friend of mine - it was quite bland. The wanton noodles soup was pretty good, but I always have other cravings when I'm there. Lol. The 水交 and sweet potato dumplings are quite nice too (for that price).

小龙包

Carrot cake

Sour and spicy noodle

Black pepper beef noodles
I can have a meal with noodles, xiao long bao and a drink all for $11 and zero waiting time at the door. If you order their wanton noodle soup, its only $3.50. Quite a steal if you're asking me, considering the fact that these are 拉面, which the other restaurants are selling at close to $10 per bowl. Oh, and did I mention there's no GST or service charges? =) And they also do delivery at no extra costs to the nearby areas.

Unfortunately, they have closed down. I'm not sure if they shifted elsewhere or closed for good. I miss their noodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment