Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Foong Kee Coffeeshop

We have coined this the Legendary Char Siew place. This was discovered by our student, A. He found out about this online, and had been there on several occasions with his friends, and sometimes alone. Comfort food to him when experiment failed, he said. It was quite a walk for us, and by the time we reached, I was grumbling. It better be good I said. But after the food came, I shut up and ate.

It's a roast specialty shop. They only have four kinds of meats. Soy sauce chicken, roasted duck, roasted pork belly (sio bak) and bbq pork (char siew). Then you can opt for white rice, oil rice, or noodles. I love noodles, so noodles it is. Some of the rest took rice, but I forgot the pictures. E loved loved loved the oil rice. He always go for a noodle and a oil rice. The birds are nice but not out of the world. The chicken was tender, and well flavored. The duck was roasted very nicely, with the skin nicely crisp. Duck wise, I think I prefer Yee Kee Roasted Duck. But overall, I prefer here, and I'll tell you why.

The porks. We call it Legendary Char Siew place for a reason. The star of the place is really the porks. The sio bak is beautifully roasted to crispy perfection, yet the meat remains moist and oily and sinfully good. The char siew. Oh my. Perfect balance of sweet and savory. Good mix of lean and fatty bits. I could pick out my lean ones for health reasons, while the boys could attack the fatty ones for yummy reasons. But even the lean ones were tender. The fatty ones, they were to-die-for. Melts in the mouth. Drool. I miss this place.

The the other reason for preference to this place. The chilli. Yee Kee have a half-hearted sub-standard chilli. The one here is chopped chilli and garlic and coriander in vinegar. That's the best dip for roasted meat I'm telling you. Then the springy noodles. I love. They offer wanton noodles too, for those who just want a plate of noodles to enjoy the char siew with.

Soy sauce chicken and roasted duck


Noodles

Sio bak and char siew
We've been there several times now. And still love it. And Lynn had been nagging me for telling her all about it but not bringing her there. In fact I think she's going to nag me again after this post.

Foong Kee Coffeeshop
6 Keong Saik Rd, 089114

No comments:

Post a Comment