Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A&I Hainanese Boneless Chicken Rice

This is another of those food I ate growing up. No, they aren't my relatives. They did, however, operate at my void deck for a good number of years, maybe about 10, before they were forced to move to their current location when the old place stopped being a coffeeshop. So you can imagine how often we patronise them as teens, because it was so convenient to buy. But convenience aside, we love it so much that even after they moved away, we still drive there to eat their chicken rice. I can proudly say this is the best chicken rice I've ever eaten.  In fact, we love it so much that my cousins can finish one whole chicken between the two of them... If I didn't remember wrongly.

I missed it terribly after I moved away from my mum's. Because they operate mainly for lunch, I rarely get the chance to eat it as I'm rarely in the area during lunchtime. So this post was made possible only because I happened to be on leave, and dragged my family there for lunch.

Their rice is a generous heaping bowl of rice, not the measly small plate that you often get nowadays. Not that this helps my diet, but you do feel happier knowing that the seller didn't scrimp on your lunch. The rice is fragrant, but not overly greasy. I like. 

The rice

Their chicken is none of those fancy kampong chicken. No coloring to make it artificially yellow. Just plain, tender, well-seasoned chicken. The breast meat is sooooo tender, which is a rarity in itself as most places serves dry breast meat. And they drench it in a great soya sauce cum sesame oil mixture. My favourite part is actually picking those small detached pieces of meat left behind in the sauce after all the big pieces are gone. They soak up the flavor so well. The chicken skin is very 'Q' (best translation I can give is bouncy?', so chicken skin lovers, rejoice! I'm not a drumstick lover, but I do know of someone who love their drumstick so much he used to request for an unchopped drumstick so that he can bite it off the bone. Just looking at the chicken breast meat now is making me hungry.

Juicy and tender chicken

Zoom in on the chicken. Look at that tender looking breast meat!

The star of their stall is actually not really the chicken. It's their chilli. Fiery hot, well flavored. It compliments the chicken and rice so well. We are such frequent customers (at least my family is. I'm a rare customer.) that they gave us extra chilli and sauce on the side.

The extra chilli and sauce
But do be warned. They do overdo either the MSG or the vinegar. You get very thirsty after the meal. But I'm willing to suffer that for that delicious chicken. And chilli. And rice. Occasionally. Their soup is pretty blah so forget about it. And their pricing remains reasonable too. How I miss this place.


A&I Hainanese Boneless Chicken Rice
Blk 907  
Jurong West St 91Singapore 640907


2 comments:

  1. They're at my void deck coffeeshop now, so I must have a plate once a week. I dare say they are the best in SG!

    ReplyDelete