Sunday, January 6, 2013

Shashlik

Haha! Here's another birthday entry.. For those that are wondering, YES I usually have a one month celebration for my birthday.. J and SY are cracking their heads on where to bring me for birthday treat and I conveniently suggested Shashlik. This is not my first time there and their baked alaska and lamb shashlik have certainly brought me back there many times. 

Shashlik is well hidden at level 6 of Far east shopping centre and been around for a long long time, they brand themselves as a Russian Restaurant but I feel their food is more inclined to Hainanese western homely style food.

We ordered mushroom soup for SY and beef borsch for Me and J and half dozen escargots to share. Mushroom soup is simple and comes with pieces of fresh mushrooms, tuaste wise will be more like mushroom in chicken cream soup and I taste a tinge of Campbell soup taste in it. I don't usually recommend their mushroom soup.

Borsch on the other hand was marvelous, it has a dab of sourcream to balance the sourness of the tomato, comes with a chunk of beef in the soup. That particular piece that I had was tough but still I enjoyed the rest of the soup. Photo wasn't available because I was too hungry. LOL! Escargots are just passable, I had better at Mariner's corner and Vines.

Mushroom Soup

Escargots
We decided to order 2 mains to share, so we can keep space for dessert and ordered chicken shashlik and lamb shashlik to share. Shashlik comes with vegetables and thick french fries on the side, the server will push a trolley with an empty hotplate to the tableside and put the meat onto the hotplate in front of the customers. Both chicken and lamb are nicely cooked, juicy and flavorful, sizzling hot on the hotplate, between the two I prefer the lamb. I do not like the green pea+corn+carrot mixture and fries are your regular frozen fries. They also have a small plate of sourish vegetables thats quite appetizing.

Lamb shashlik(top) and Chicken shashlik (bottom)
Next, star of the night! Baked alaska. Server will heat up some liquor, I am guessing whisky? and while it burns he will pour it onto the ice cream cake. The white parts are whipped egg white with sugar topped with some canned syrup cherries. You gotta eat this fast before it gets runny, each mouthful will be absolute heaven. Ice cold Vanilla ice cream with melty egg white with a tinge of liqour taste... HHmmmmm....

Baked Alaska

Overall, its an enjoyment dining there for I value the taste over ambience, in fact theres an old school feel to the place that i liked. Average spending will be about $40 per pax, dependent on the orders. This place might not be suitable for your romantic first date and do not expect excellent service over there. However for those lamb lovers, this place is worthy of a visit. From previous dining experience, their beef and fish seem to be on the tough side and I don't really like their other dessert selection.



Shashlik Restaurant
545 Orchard Road
#06-19 Far East Shopping Centre
Tel: 67326401 / 67343090

No comments:

Post a Comment