Friday, December 19, 2014

Birthday edition dinner: Equinox

Oh dear... I'm getting more and more behind at blogging. But ignoring my usual preference for chronological order, let me slot in Lynn's birthday dinner before I resume my catching up.

As you will know from the previous post, we went Shima for a teppanyaki buffet lunch. We must be completely mad. How did we think that we can handle a buffet lunch followed by the typical huge birthday dinners we always have? So after lunch, we tried to walk off as much of lunch as possible by shopping in Takashimaya. Then we rested in Breeks for a drink and to eat the Hello Kitty cake I baked for her (goodness!). Yes, it was a small cake. But it still took up space nonetheless. So you can imagine how 'not hungry' we are when we arrived at Equinox for dinner.

And still not knowing when to draw the line, we took FOUR types of breads to share between us... Anyhow, on with the food critique. We had onion and cheese bread, French baguette, black olive, and I couldn't catch the last one. These were served with seaweed, as well as, regular butter. We only liked the onion, the rest were pretty umimpressive. And both agreed that it was a pity the bread weren't warm.
Bread and butter
The bread was followed by a complimentary canapé. Baked raisin with mascarpone. It was sweet and savoury at the same time, though we couldn't quite place what the savoury portion is. Since I hate raisins, I only ate a few small raisin-free scoops before I pushed what's left to Lynn. It was nice and creamy.
Complimentary Canapé
And our madness continue. We were soooo tempted by soooo many items on the menu, we decided to go for THREE starters and one main course, and Lynn super craved mac and cheese so we ordered that too. Then after we painstakingly shortlisted three out of so many tempting starters and placed our orders, we were told that to utilize the Amex Platinum card discount (50% for two pax, yo!), we had to order two main courses. So... we actually placed order for one more main course! Remember, we weren't hungry!!

So here's our madness in detail. Pan seared foie gras. It wasn't as blissful as we wished for, but still was a nice huge piece. It was aromatic and livery and buttery, sure. Just wasn't melt-in-the-mouth enough.
Pan seared foie gras
Next up is my newest favourite cheese since Valentino. Burrata cheese. Theirs was served with a nice mixed salad. The cheese was creamy and yummy and I love love love it. Then came along our all time favourite. Lobster bisque. Theirs seems to have a little too much cognac. It was a little too bitter. But we dig the chunks of lobster in it.

Burrata cheese

Lobster bisque
Then came along our mains and the side. Black truffle mac n cheese. YUM! It was rich, it was velvety, it was fragrant with the aroma of truffle, it was everything you can ask for in a mac n cheese. Only problem? I didn't have the stomach space for something this rich. I managed two mouths, and Lynn picked through half of it, and I think that was the furthest we went. Poor mac n cheese, it really wasn't its fault.
Black truffle mac n cheese
The mains. The black cod was lovely. It was nicely done, delicate and milky, the way cod fish should be. But by now, my stomach was overflowing. Cod being an oily fish, I was unable to fully enjoy it. I felt sorry for the fish. Lynn helped me with half my piece. The sour pickled vegetables that were served with it was great at cutting my 'gelatness'.

Black cod
Finally, our beef. Wagyu ribeye steak. It wasn't very Wagyu in the sense it didn't have that strong aroma that usually comes with Wagyu. Moreover, it was a little too salty. But overall, we liked the char and the flavor. This I managed to finish without help from Lynn.

Wagyu ribeye steak

The service at Equinox is impeccable, as expected. The food is actually very nice too, if not for our incredibly full states, we would have enjoyed it more. I actually forgot to take picture of the complimentary slice of cake that the waitress brought us for Lynn's birthday celebration. That was only managed after a few cups of tea each, and needed more tea to wash it down. Price-wise, it's expected that Equinox pricing is pretty steep. Come on, where else in Singapore can you dine with that kind of view from the 71st floor? (Maybe Ku De Ta, but that's another story.) But thanks to Amex, that meal was made affordable for a special occasion. Still, I doubt it's the kind of place I will come without the Amex discount.


2 Stamford Road
Singapore 178882
Phone: +65 6837 3322
Email: reservations@equinoxcomplex.com

No comments:

Post a Comment