Sunday, May 26, 2013

Poulet (Great World City)

I needed to run some errands at the bank, and since most banks open only during office hours, it meant a lunch visit. After locating a Citibank branch at Great World City, I dragged XP and J there with me for a long lunch.

After glancing through the directory, we decided on trying out Poulet. Apparently their signature dish was their roast chicken, which tempted both J and me. I settled for the regular version, while she opted for the special cranberry version. XP ordered an oxtail stew. Then it was a French onion soup, escargots and sautéed vegetables to share.

The French onion soup was pretty good. Fragrant sautéed onion in rich chicken soup. Warmed our hungry bellies very well. The escargot wasn't impressive. It did, however, have a good bite despite being baked out of the shells. Maybe the tiniest bit too chewy but still acceptable.

When my roast chicken arrived, I was quite happy. First, the gravy smelled amazing. Tasted amazing too. Creamy and rich, without being cloying. I almost wished I had some pasta to coat this sauce on. Second, I liked the leaves scattered around my plate. No idea what they are, but I liked their texture and flavor. Lastly, the chicken was done quite nicely. It was tender and came easily apart with my fork and knife. Flavor was good too. And I can't completely remember correctly, but I think it didn't have the annoying frozen chicken taste that some joints have.

Jj's was the same perfectly done roast chicken, but instead of the cream sauce I had, hers was served on a bed of cranberry sauce. I'm not a very fruity sauce person, so I didn't care for it, but she really enjoyed it.

XP's oxtail stew was aromatic and tender. Only qualm was it was quite big boned, so he struggled a fair bit with his fork and knife but he managed. The sautéed vegetables was an add on order in the midst of our mains, when I felt it was too meaty for our good. Turned out that 'sautéed' vegetables was actually boiled or steamed vegetables. I don't mind, but I think they really should name their items accurately.

French onion soup
Escargots
Roast chicken with cranberry sauce
Signature roast chicken with mushroom chardonnay sauce

Oxtail stew
Sauteed vegetables

Overall I thought it was ok, but wasn't impressive. The service was good though. We took away a sandwich for HY but I didn't get her feedback on how it was. Lynn been to another branch on a separate occasion and she raved about the fries and a dessert. Tiramisu maybe? 

2 comments:

  1. I like their roasted chicken!! did not know that they have opened another outlet in Great World City!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FoodieFC,

      I've seen many of their outlets popping up at places such as Chinatown Point and Vivocity. I won't be surprised if they are planning for more outlets elsewhere. =)

      Delete