Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Sun With Moon

It was A's birthday. We had celebrated her birthday at Sun With Moon last year and she really liked it, but haven't been there since. So this year, she requested the same place again.

We haven't met for the whole year, and started off with everyone exchanging random gifts each bought back from holidays the past few months (some even from last year). There were a few exclamations of 'oh, I forgot to bring the stuff I bought from xxx'. I just happily took everything given to me. Haven't had the luxury of traveling this year, save one cruise trip. Not much souvenir one can buy from there. I can only comfort myself that what I lacked in holiday going, I made up by gorging myself with good food. My food budget is definitely much expanded this year... :S

Back to food. We ordered a main dish each and some sides to share. A had the Aburi Chirashi Don, I think that's what she had last year too. A colorful mixed don with eggs and fish, it tastes as nice as it looks. L had the salmon sushi platter (can't remember the exact name on the menu). Eight pieces of sushi all with differently prepared salmon. She nearly couldn't finish it... Her appetite have always been quite small.

Aburi Chirashi Don

Salmon sushi platter

S had the Aburi Chirashi Don too, but with a set. That comes with a big bowl of soup, and a chawanmushi. Someone said the meal was too big and gave me her chawanmushi. Couldn't remember who, but the chawanmushi was warm and smooth, great for my hungry tummy. M had a salmon don set(again, don't remember the name). The portion of salmon sashimi that came with the don was generous.

Salmon something Don set

I didn't try their food, so I'm not quite in the position to critique them. So let's talk about mine. I ordered Beef with Foie Gras. Although the foie gras portion was pretty small, it was the melt-in-your-mouth, livery, yummy kind. What Lynn and me will call the 'blissful' kind. I was closing my eyes and doing a little hand wiggle thingy to express my happiness, and M went "look at her face... So happy...". The beef was done just right, so I was pretty happy with it. These were served alongside a small bundle of pasta, some fried potato, and a slice of caramelized apple. Overall it was a yummy and happy meal for me. Not very filling though, but I did help S finish up her don. Oh, so I did try her food after all. Haha...
Beef with Foie Gras (there's more beef than it appears, hidden behind the apple)

For sides we ordered a grilled unagi, and hotate, swordfish, and salmon sashimi. I liked the sashimi here. They were very fresh, and the hotate and swordfish were oh-so-sweet. I'm not an unagi fan so I didn't try it. But the girls said it was nice.

Our sashimi
Grilled Unagi
Their service was pretty good. I brought a homemade cake, and actually deposited it at the restaurant at 5pm, went shopping, and returned for my reservation at 6. And I didn't have any disposable knives at home, so the restaurant very kindly gave us one. Though they did ask if we still need it when we asked them to help pack the remaining cake. I was more than happy to return it to them. The bill did shocked us a little, because we neglected to ask how much the 'seasonal price' unagi was. But that's our own fault of course. Overall, I did enjoy myself, and will probably come back for good sashimi and warm-the-tummy Japanese food.

No comments:

Post a Comment