Thursday, August 9, 2012

Da Lian Traditional Noodles

Came by this corner little eatery quite by chance. It was one of those Friday evenings which W and me were both hubby-less. I needed to pick up something I bought from Deals.com, and she agreed to accompany me.

We collected my purchase quickly enough near Lavender, and then proceeded to walk vaguely in the direction towards Jalan Besar in hope of finding to place to eat. Saw this small corner shop selling noodles and BBQ chicken, and we decided that it will do. Upon closer inspection, we saw that they had scalded cockles too. So our dinner was two bowls of dry traditional fishball noodles, two BBQ wings and a plate of scalded cockles.

The whole 小吃店 (directly translated to snack shop, but actually is a loose term for these little shophouse eateries that doesn't fit the description of neither kopitiam nor hawker centre) seemed to be under the same management. We placed our orders for food from apparently different stalls all with the fishball noodle uncle. And payment was made in total.

View from across the road

The wings came first and we were pretty happy. It was nicely done, and the tangy chilli provided matched the chicken nicely. The noodles were pretty good too, springy with bits of chilli flakes in them, suggesting a homemade chilli. The fishballs were alright. The cockles were fresh and cooked just nicely, so that they weren't over bloody, yet weren't overcooked to rubbery. However, the chilli provided were the ones for the chicken. Even though that went with the chicken perfectly, I prefer my cockles with more garlicky chilli. So that part was a miss. But given we both hadn't had cockles for some time, we enjoyed it nonetheless.

BBQ chicken wings
Fishball minced meat noodle
Scalded cockles

Overall we did enjoy our simple little dinner in this accidental find. Not entirely likely I'll find myself in that area again and not likely I'll make an intentional trip there to eat either. BUT if I ever happen to be in the area close to mealtime, I'll definitely find my way back there for some yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment